Create a new blockchain in two commands
Starport is an open-source rapid prototyping tool that lets developers quickly build a new blockchain with just two CLI commands. Currently, even for seasoned blockchain developers, building a new blockchain and launching a local testnet can take up the better part of a day. With the alpha release of Starport, developers can launch a simple Cosmos SDK-based blockchain in less than five minutes. The Starport intelligent scaffolding feature radically reduces development time and lowers the barrier to blockchain for millions of developers.
Lowering the barrier to entry
Starport: From idea to blockchain in minutes
Tendermint Core, Cosmos SDK, and Inter-Blockchain Communication protocol (IBC) are the essential foundational layers for building an ‘Internet of Blockchains.’ However, for the ecosystem to mature and grow, Tendermint recognizes the need for higher-level tooling to support faster and easier application development on top of the robust Cosmos stack. Thus, Tendermint built Starport to serve as a starting point for new developers to scaffold, prototype, and launch public Proof-of-Stake blockchains in minutes.
- Scaffold a blockchain: Set up and start developing a full-featured Cosmos SDK-based blockchain in one command
- Scaffold a type: Create a data type with one command, including CLI commands, REST endpoints, and web UI views
- Scaffold a web app: Automatically create a web app to interact with the blockchain, including CosmJS and the API
- Hot reloading: The web app and the blockchain automatically reload when changes are made to the source code
- Smart contracts: Add CosmWasm smart contract support to the blockchain with one command
- Up-to-date: Starport supports Stargate, the IBC-enabled version of the Cosmos SDK.
What will you build with Starport?
Starport is available today for developers to download and try out. Start turning your idea into a blockchain! Check out these foundation tutorials to help you get started building with Starport:
A better starting point for your blockchain
Most current production Cosmos SDK-based blockchains have a lineage that traces back to a fork of Gaia, the source code of the Cosmos Hub. This dependency has led to a number of maintainability issues for blockchain developers. For example, just to rename Gaia to something else, developers have to make 105 individual changes across 23 files. It’s a complex and error-prone process that a find and replace search cannot easily resolve.
Through experience, the easiest way for new developers to get started with blockchain development is with a clean slate. Most blockchain developers do not need the large amounts of code currently found in Gaia. In comparison, Starport includes only a minimal set of files required to build a Cosmos SDK-based blockchain.
Code with Us
Tendermint’s Director of Developer Experience, Denis Fadeev, will be giving a Starport workshop on July 31st. Signup today for the Cosmos Code with Us workshop: “Build and launch a polling application with Starport”
Date: July 31st, 7 am PDT/9 pm EDT/4 am CEST
Host: Denis Fadeev, Developer Experience Lead at Tendermint
Resource: Starport on Github
At Tendermint, we empower people to create a transparent and accountable world through open, distributed, and interoperable networks. Tendermint is the gateway to the Cosmos ecosystem. We’ve built critical infrastructure for open networks, like the Cosmos SDK, Tendermint Core, and Gaia. We lead the developer experience by providing best-in-class tools to peer into an ever-expanding Cosmos.
Stay in touch
- We’re hiring! Join the Tendermint team
- Starport on Twitter starportHQ
- Tendermint on Twitter tendermintHQ
- Tendermint on LinkedIn Tendermint
- Sign up for Tendermint news, products, events, and development
- Information on the Cosmos Network project
For press inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org